Happy July, it’s the month of barbecues, strawberries & cream, and summer cocktails (that was June too). There are so many things that I love right now, it was hard to narrow it down to just five. I couldn’t resist the urge to list the two Smiths that I adore. If I had one ounce of Kanye West’s confidence and Ali or Zadie Smith’s talent, I’d be sorted for life.
1. Hotel World by Ali Smith. This 2002 book is being released with a new cover of David Hockney’s ‘Views of Hotel Well II’. Like everything Ali Smith writes, Hotel World is brilliant. I read it nearly a decade ago and can still remember Smith’s vivid prose. Hotel World was shortlisted for The Booker Prize and the Orange Prize for Fiction, it’s well worth a read. Check out the synopsis here. It’s as imaginative as How to be Both, which everyone should be reading, by the way. Keep an eye out for this Hamish Hamilton title.
2. BBC Proms. There’s one thing I love about summer…the Proms. Going to The Proms is one of the things I miss most. This summer classical music concerts was one of my favourite events. So if you’re based in England or planning a trip to London, do try to make a trip to the Royal Albert Hall for the Proms. I lived near Royal Albert Hall and managed to go several times a week. Yes, I was addicted. The last night of the Proms is particularly special, the crowd sings Rule Britannia.
3. Zadie Smith. Several friends are just discovering how talented she is. They’re becoming addicts and I don’t blame them, she’s an extraordinary writer. Smith’s recent short story, ‘Escape From New York’, is in the New Yorker Fiction Issue (2015). It’s quite good, Zadie Smith re-imagines Marlon Brando, Michael Jackson and Elizabeth Taylor leaving New York City during 9/11. I love how Smith plays with this urban myth. You can find the story here.
4. Wimbledon. I’ve been waking up insanely early to watch the matches. It’s always great fun as long as my favourite players are winning. Things are looking good for Team Andy Murray and Serena Williams.
5. Lush Cosmetics. I fell in love with this store and I’m glad they have stores throughout the United States, although the Regent Street store will always have my heart. I can’t imagine life without their bath bombs and melts. Go here and prepare to fall in love.